Grilled oyster mushroom & veggie skewers with lemon-tahini drizzle
These vegan skewers prove that grilling is not just about the meat. Earthy oyster mushrooms play off the creaminess of grilled eggplant and the bright acidity of cherry tomatoes with a tangy, cumin-spiked tahini dressing to tie everything together. Be sure to skewer the mushrooms through their denser stem ends, and turn them gently on the grill—they’re delicious but delicate.
Fresh lemon juice
½ tsp(s), divided
⅜ tsp(s), divided
Uncooked oyster mushroom(s)
6 oz, cut into 16 (1-inch) pieces
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes (to prevent them from burning on the grill). Coat a grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tahini, lemon juice, ⅛ tsp of the salt, ⅛ tsp of the garlic powder, and the cumin. Whisk in 1½ tbsp water until the mixture is smooth and runny. (Add a little more water if needed.)
- If the mushrooms are attached in large clumps, gently pull apart into small clusters or large single mushrooms. Thread the mushrooms onto 4 skewers. Using another 4 skewers, alternately thread the eggplant and tomatoes onto each skewer. Coat the tops of the skewers with cooking spray and sprinkle with ⅛ tsp of the garlic powder. Turn the skewers over and repeat with cooking spray and the remaining ⅛ tsp garlic powder.
- Arrange the skewers on the grill rack. Cover the grill and cook until the vegetables are well marked and tender, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle the skewers with remaining 3⁄8 tsp salt and serve with the sauce.
- Serving size: 2 mushroom skewers, 2 veggie skewers, and about 1½ tbsp sauce