Grilled Leek and Northern Bean Salad
Extra virgin olive oil
Fat free chicken broth
White wine vinegar
Canned great northern beans
1 cup(s), drained and rinsed
1 tbsp(s), flat-leaf variety, finely chopped
- Off heat, coat grill rack or grill pan with nonstick spray. Preheat gas grill or grill pan to medium-high, or prepare medium-high fire in charcoal grill.
- Trim top of each leek to yield 4-inch white piece (some light green is OK) and discard dark-green tops. Cut leeks lengthwise in half, leaving root ends attached. Rinse leeks under running water to clean between layers and pat dry.
- Coat leeks with nonstick spray. Grill, cut-side down, until leeks are tender, charred, and marked from grill, 5 to 10 minutes. Turn leeks over and grill for 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove leeks from heat and trim off root ends.
- In large bowl, whisk oil, broth, vinegar, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Slice leeks into 1⁄2-inch-thick pieces and add to bowl along with beans. Toss salad gently until well coated. Garnish with parsley.
- Serving size: about 1⁄2 cup