Green Shakshuka (Easy Eats)
2 tsp(s), preferably roasted
Crushed red pepper flakes
⅛ tsp(s), 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
Uncooked sweet onions
1 large, chopped
3 clove(s), large, minced
Fresh baby spinach
6 large egg(s)
Reduced-fat feta cheese
⅓ cup(s), crumbled
Whole wheat English muffin(s)
3 muffin(s), split & toasted
- In a cup, mix cumin, salt, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes.
- In a 30 cm (12 inch) skillet over medium heat, warm oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in spice mixture and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add enough spinach to fill skillet and cook, tossing with tongs, until spinach starts to wilt, 1 minute. Continue adding handfuls of spinach until all wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, make 6 evenly spaced indentations in spinach. Crack an egg into a cup, then slip egg into indentation. Repeat with remaining eggs and indentations. Sprinkle with feta and cook, covered, until whites are firm but yolks are soft, 4 minutes.
- On each of 6 plates, place 1 English muffin half. Using large spoon, lift out eggs and spinach mixture and place on English muffins. Sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Per serving: 1/2 English muffin with 1 egg and 125 ml (1/2 cup) spinach