Green Bean Casserole
Uncooked string beans
1½ pound(s), (675 g) trimmed and cut in half
2 tsp(s), (10 ml)
1 cup(s), (250 ml) coarse variety
1 tsp(s), (5 ml) chopped
¾ tsp(s), (4 ml) divided
¼ pinch, (1 ml) freshly ground
Grated Pecorino cheese
2 tbsp(s), (30 ml)
2 cup(s), (500 ml)
1 tbsp(s), (15 ml)
10 oz, (285 g) sliced
3 tbsp(s), (45 ml)
1 pinch, or cayenne
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Coat a shallow 1 1/2-L (1 1/2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Put green beans in a steamer basket; set basket in a saucepan over 2.5-cm (1-inch) of boiling water. Cover tightly and steam green beans until crisptender, 4 minutes; drain and rinse well with cold water. Spread green beans on a large clean kitchen towel; pat dry. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- To make topping, finely chop 1 shallot. Thinly slice remaining 2 shallots; set aside. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add chopped shallot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 4 minutes. Add bread crumbs; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in thyme, 1 ml (1/4 tsp)salt and pepper. Set aside to cool; stir in pecorino.
- To make sauce, in a microwavable measuring cup, microwave milk on High until hot, 3 minutes; remove and cover to keep warm. (Or heat milk in small saucepan over mediumhigh heat just until small bubbles appear around edge, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; cover and keep hot).
- Meanwhile, melt butter in same skillet over medium heat; add sliced shallots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; increase heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Add hot milk, stirring constantly, in slow, steady stream; bring to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook 1 minute; stir in remaining 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt and nutmeg or cayenne.
- Pour sauce over green beans; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle casserole evenly with bread crumb topping; bake until topping is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25–30 minutes.
- Serving size: generous 175 ml (3/4 cup)