Flank Steak Sandwiches with Avocado Salsa
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
2 cup(s), (1 pint), halved
½ medium, chopped
California (Hass) avocado
½ item(s), pitted, peeled, and finely chopped
1 medium, seeded and finely chopped
¼ cup(s), fresh, chopped
Apple cider vinegar
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef flank steak
2 clove(s), medium, peeled and halved
Whole wheat bread
6 oz, 4 x 1½-ounce slices country-style, toasted
1 cup(s), or arugula
- Coat the bottom of a sheet pan or broiler pan with cooking spray. Arrange an oven rack in the top position under the broiler. Preheat the broiler.
- In a medium bowl, stir the tomatoes, onion, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, and vinegar. Set the salsa aside.
- Sprinkle the steak with the oregano, salt, and black pepper. Transfer the steak to the prepared broiler rack. Broil the steak, 5 inches away from heat, on both sides until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the side of the steak registers 145°F, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain.
- Rub the cut sides of the garlic over 1 side of each bread slice. Top each with the watercress, steak, and salsa.
- Serving size: 1 open-face sandwich