Filet mignon with bearnaise sauce
½ tsp(s), or to taste, divided
½ pinch, freshly ground, or to taste, divided
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef filet mignon
16 oz, use four 4 oz pieces
Uncooked egg yolk(s)
2⅓ tbsp(s), melted
Fresh lemon juice
1½ tbsp(s), and/or parsley, fresh, minced.
- Rub 1.25 ml (¼ tsp) each salt and pepper all over steak.
- Coat a grill pan with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Heat pan until it’s almost smoking and sizzles when water is dropped onto pan surface.
- Place steak on pan and cook, without turning, about 5 minutes. Flip steak; cook about 4 to 6 minutes more for medium doneness.
- Remove steak to a cutting board and loosely cover with aluminum foil; let rest for at least 10 minutes (steak will continue to cook under foil).
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, bring a small saucepan one-third filled with water to a boil (creating a double boiler). In a metal bowl, beat egg yolk with 15 ml (1 Tbsp) room temperature water until frothy; set bowl over saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until egg yolk thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove egg yolk from heat; slowly whisk in melted butter until well-combined. Stir in lemon juice and remaining salt and black pepper; whisk in fresh herbs. Serve steak with sauce.
- Yields about 85 g (3 oz) of steak and 15 ml (1 Tbsp) of sauce per serving.