Serve one squash half as a side dish to roasted chicken or pork, or enjoy both halves as a vegetarian meal.
- 1 medium uncooked acorn squash, halved, seeded
- 2 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pinch kosher salt, (or to taste)
- 1 pinch black pepper, (or to taste)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked leek(s), sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh apple(s), chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) cooked farro
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salted butter
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Coat cut surfaces of squash with cooking spray; season with salt and pepper. Roast, cut sides down, on a baking sheet until tender, 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; saute leek 5minutes. Add apple; saute until leek and apple are lightly golden and tender, 4 minutes.
Stir farro, thyme and butter into skillet; toss over low heat until hot (and season to taste). Spoon farro mixture into squash halves; serve.
- Serving size: 2 stuffed squash halves