Eggplant Parm Fries
1½ medium, (1 large)
2 egg white(s), large
Canned tomato paste
Whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 cup(s), Italian seasoned
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ oz, preferably finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Trim and peel eggplant. Cut off a thin sliver of the rounded sides so eggplant can sit flat (reserve for another use). Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; cut each slice into 1/2-inch-thick sticks and then slice each stick in half again (you should have 48 fries).
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg whites, tomato paste and water. In another shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Dip each eggplant fry into egg white mixture and turn to coat; gently shake off excess. Next, place in breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat; place on prepared pan and repeat with remaining ingredients (make sure fries do not touch or overlap).
- Coat fries with cooking spray and bake until brown and crunchy, about 25 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool for a few minutes.
- Serving size: 12 fries.