Eggplant braciole with cauliflower rice
1½ pound(s), about 1 large eggplant
Olive oil cooking spray
1¾ tsp(s), divided
½ cup(s), small, roughly chopped
1 tsp(s), freshly ground, divided
Fresh baby spinach
1 cup(s), firmly packed
Fat free vegetable broth
¼ cup(s), high quality store bought (or water)
1 clove(s), medium, minced
1 tbsp(s), drained
Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut off and discard ends of eggplant. Using a sharp knife or mandoline, carefully slice eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (you will end up with about 12 pieces).
- Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray and divide eggplant slices between them in single layers; coat each slice of eggplant with cooking spray. Place vinegar in a small bowl. Use a brush to coat surface of each slice with vinegar; sprinkle each slice with a tiny pinch salt (1/4 tsp total). Roast eggplant until just softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and consolidate eggplant on one baking sheet; set aside to cool. Wipe other baking sheet clean; set aside.
- Meanwhile, place cauliflower in bowl of a food processor; pulse until finely chopped and resembling rice (should yield about 4 cups). Place cauliflower rice on reserved baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Coat cauliflower with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Roast until cauliflower is just barely browned around edges and is nice and dry, about 15 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Rinse food processor; add basil and spinach, pulse until finely chopped. Add broth, garlic, capers, lemon juice and remaining 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper; puree until smooth and set aside.
- To make braciole, place eggplant slices, vinegar side up, on a work surface; evenly divide cauliflower among slices, piling it towards one short end (each eggplant slice gets about 2 Tbsp cauliflower). Beginning with a short side of each eggplant slice, roll slices around cauliflower to form small bundles. Carefully place eggplant, seam sides down, back on a baking sheet in a tight row; pour basil mixture evenly over top. Roast until eggplant braciole and sauce are nice and warm, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 3 braciole