Eggplant BLT Sandwiches
1 small, (1/2 pound)
California (Hass) avocado
Fresh lemon juice
1 large, cut into 8 slices
8 piece(s), small leaves
Uncooked red onion(s)
¼ cup(s), sliced, thinly sliced
4 oz, country style (1 ounce slices), toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together oil, coconut aminos, paprika, garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and pinch salt in small bowl. With mandoline or vegetable slicer, slice eggplant into very thin lengthwise slices (if using a knife, cut eggplant crosswise into very thin rounds). You need 16 slices; save any leftover eggplant for another use.
- Arrange eggplant slices on prepared baking sheet in single layer; brush on one side with half of spiced oil. Turn slices over and brush on other side with remaining oil. Bake until slices are crisp and begin to char, 15–17 minutes. Slide eggplant with parchment onto work surface; let cool briefly (eggplant will get crisper).
- Meanwhile, peel and pit avocados. Roughly chop and put into small bowl; add lemon juice and pinch each salt and pepper. With fork, mash until fairly smooth.
- To assemble sandwiches, lay toasted bread on work surface. Top each with one fourth of mashed avocado, tomato, lettuce, onion, and eggplant.
- Serving size: 1 open-face sandwich