Egg casserole with hash browns and peppers
4 tsp(s), divided
2 large, thinly sliced
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
2 item(s), medium, red variety, sliced
6 oz, 4 Italian frying peppers, halved lengthwise and sliced
1½ tsp(s), divided
½ tsp(s), divided
3 cup(s), 1 1/2 pints, halved
3 clove(s), medium, minced
¾ tsp(s), dried
Frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
20 oz, (1 bag)
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 cup(s), (about 8 oz)
1½ cup(s), (1%)
1 cup(s), thinly sliced, fresh
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
12 slice(s), whole-grain bread, toasted
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 tsp oil. Add onions, bell peppers, frying peppers, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper and cook, stirring often, until onions are light golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, and 1/2 tsp oregano and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Spoon vegetable mixture into a large bowl; set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tsp oil to skillet. Add hash browns and cook, turning occasionally, until nicely browned, about 6 minutes.
- Spray the insert of a 6-qt slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place one-third of potatoes in bottom of slow cooker; top with half of vegetable mixture and 2/3 cup mozzarella. Repeat layers with half of remaining potatoes, remaining vegetable mixture, and 2/3 cup mozzarella. Top evenly with remaining potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, sliced basil, remaining 1 tsp salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp black pepper. Pour over potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup mozzarella, remaining 1/4 tsp oregano, and Pecorino Romano. Cover and cook until top is set when gently pressed and edges are golden, 4 to 5 hours on Low. Pour off any liquid in bottom of cooker. Serve over slices of toast and sprinkle with basil leaves.
- Per serving: 11/4 cups casserole and 1 slice toast