Shepherd's Pie With Ground Turkey
Uncooked Russet potato
2 large, (about 790 g [1¾ lbs]), peeled and cut into 5-cm (2-in) chunks
Reduced-fat sour cream
3 medium, diced
2 stalk(s), medium, stalks, diced
1 small, diced
Frozen corn kernels
1 cup(s), or fresh, thawed
2 clove(s), medium, finely chopped
Raw skinless turkey breast
Canned tomato paste
Canned chicken broth
1¼ cup(s), or beef broth
- Set rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Spray 2-quart casserole dish or 7 x 11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Put potatoes in medium saucepan and cover with 1 inch cold water. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are forktender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to saucepan. Add sour cream, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and mash with potato masher or large fork until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Transfer to bowl. Return skillet to heat and add turkey; cook, breaking up turkey with side of wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in carrot mixture. Stir in flour and broth and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer turkey mixture to prepared casserole dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top, making sure to cover edges. Bake until potatoes are browned, 35–40 minutes. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serving size: 1/8 of casserole