Easy Shepherd's Pie
Cooked potato(es) red or white
1½ pound(s), floury, peeled and cut into even chunks
Fat free skim milk
½ tsp, freshly grated
⅛ pinch, freshly ground
Uncooked 95% lean ground beef
1 medium, chopped finely
1 medium, peeled and grated coarsely
Canned condensed beef broth bouillon or consomme
Herbes de Provence
½ Tbsp, or other fresh or dried herbs
Dried plain breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp, or fresh, natural colour
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Boil the potatoes until just tender, then drain well and return to the pan. Heat until dry and floury, then mash the potatoes until smooth and lump free.
- Mix in the low-fat spread, milk, nutmeg and seasoning. Set aside.
- Dry-fry the mince in a very hot preheated non-stick frying-pan, stirring well to break up any lumps.
- Add the oil and then the onion, garlic and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables soften, then stir in the consommé and 150 ml (5 fl oz) of water plus the herbs and seasoning.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until the meat is cooked and the liquid has been reduced. Stir once or twice during cooking.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat. Spoon the meat into a heatproof pie dish and spread the mashed potato roughly on top, with a fork. Sprinkle over the crumbs and the cheese.
- Place the pie dish under the grill and brown the top of the pie.