Easy and perfect poached chicken
1 medium, or large
16 cup(s), or chicken broth (4 quarts)
1 stalk(s), large, cut in half lengthwise
2 item(s), peeled and halved (about 4 oz)
1 tsp(s), black variety
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
3 pound(s), (eight 6 oz pieces)
- Tie thyme and parsley together with kitchen twine. Cut three slices of lemon; squeeze juice from remaining lemon.
- Add thyme, parsley, lemon slices, lemon juice, water, bay leaf, celery, shallots, peppercorns, and salt to a large Dutch oven or straight-sided skillet; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add chicken so it’s fully submerged (if chicken is not submerged, add boiling water to fully cover chicken).
- Allow water to regain heat so that particles in the liquid are moving and the surface is steaming but there are no bubbles rising; then lower heat to medium-low (adjust heat as necessary so that water never simmers).
- Poach chicken until it is just cooked through, about 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness; a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part should register 165°F.
- Remove chicken from liquid; let cool, loosely covered, at room temperature. If not using chicken right away, refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Serving size: 1 breast