Curried red lentil soup with apple
Granny Smith apple
2 medium, or other tart apples
2 medium, chopped
Uncooked vidalia onion(s)
1 medium, chopped
3 clove(s), large, minced
1 cup(s), red, picked over and rinsed
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
- Peel, halve, core, and chop one apple. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped apple, carrots, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth and lentils to apple mixture; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are very tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in blender. Return soup to saucepan. Reheat over medium heat.
- Halve, core, and finely dice remaining apple. Divide soup among 4 bowls. Top evenly with diced apple and yogurt.
- Serving size: 1 1⁄2 cups soup, 1⁄4 apple, and 1 tablespoon yogurt
Cook's Tip: Use caution when blending hot liquids; The heat can cause air in the blender to expand, sometimes enough to blow the lid off. Fill the container only half-full and hold the lid down with a towel.