Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Mushrooms
8 oz, mixed, (such as oyster, shiitake, and maitake), chopped
1¾ tsp(s), divided
⅛ tsp(s), plus 1/4 teaspoon divided
Uncooked sweet onions
2 medium, 2 cups chopped
1½ tsp(s), finely chopped
⅛ tsp(s), additional for garnish
Fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
8 cup(s), florets (1 medium head) or frozen florets
Grated Parmesan cheese
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 tbsp(s), chopped for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl toss together mushrooms, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Spread on prepared pan and roast until crisped, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring once half-way through cooking. Let mushrooms cool on the sheet pan.
- While mushrooms are roasting, in a large saucepan heat butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1 tsp salt and cook until onions are softened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to combine. Add broth, thyme, bay leaf, and cauliflower.
- Increase heat to high to bring the broth to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until cauliflower is completely softened and falling apart, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf and thyme sprig. Using an immersion or countertop blender, puree soup completely. Add remaining 1 tsp kosher salt, Parmesan, and Greek yogurt and blend to combine.
- Serve soup topped with black pepper, crispy mushrooms, and a sprinkle of nutmeg, and chopped parsley, if desired.
- Per serving: 1 ½ cups