Chicken with silky eggplant in black bean sauce
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
1½ pound(s), cut into 2.5-cm (1-in) chunks
2 medium, (about 450 g [1 lb]), quartered lengthwise and cut into 6.25-cm (2½-in) pieces
4 clove(s), medium, thinly sliced
2 tsp(s), minced, peeled fresh
Crushed red pepper flakes
Canned chicken broth
Fermented black beans
Low sodium soy sauce
Rice wine vinegar
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
1 item(s), medium, red variety, cut into 2.5-cm (1-in) pieces
5 medium, cut into 2.5-cm (1-in) lengths
- Add oil to 6-quart Instant Pot; press Sauté and set cooking time for 15 minutes. When Hot is displayed, add half of chicken; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl. Repeat with remaining chicken and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover chicken to keep warm.
- Add eggplant to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and black beans. Press Cancel to turn off pot. Lock lid, making sure vent is closed.
- Press Pressure Cook and select High Pressure; set cooking time for 5 minutes. When time is up, press Cancel to turn off pot. Move steam release valve to Venting position to quickly release pressure. Remove lid.
- Meanwhile, stir together soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, and sugar; set aside.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer eggplant to chicken in bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Press Sauté and set cooking time for 15 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture to pot and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and scallions and cook 1 minute longer. Pour sauce over chicken and eggplant and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serving size: 1 1/2 cups