Uncooked bone in skinless chicken thigh(s)
1⅓ pound(s), 4 thighs
Uncooked skinless chicken breast with bone
1½ pound(s), 2 breasts, each cut in half
½ tsp(s), divided
Cooked chicken sausage(s)
6 oz, Italian variety, sliced
Sweet red pepper(s)
1 large, thinly sliced
1 medium, sliced
4 clove(s), large, thinly sliced
No-salt-added chicken stock
Pickled jalapeno peppers
⅓ cup(s), chopped, or pickled hot cherry peppers, quartered
White wine vinegar
2 tbsp(s), or 2 tbsp pickling brine from the cherry peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 12- to 14-inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Season the chicken with 1⁄2 tsp salt and the black pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until well browned on the bottom, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook until lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large plate.
- Off heat, coat the same skillet with cooking spray. Heat the pan on medium-high. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the sausage to the plate with the chicken.
- Add the oil to the skillet and swirl to coat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the stock, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the cherry peppers, vinegar, oregano, and remaining 1⁄2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Return the chicken and sausage to the skillet. Spoon some of the pan sauce on top of the chicken and sausage. Transfer the pan to the oven. Bake, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast pieces registers 165°F, 22 to 25 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 chicken piece and about 1 cup sauce