1 cup(s), divided
2 tbsp(s), granulated
Soybean cottonseed shortening
Unpacked brown sugar
1 cup(s), sifted
Skim (fat-free) milk
2 tbsp(s), or cream (skim (fat-free) milk can be used)
1 large, beaten
1 tsp(s), or maple extract
½ cup(s), or raisins
- Combine ¼ cup flour, water and white vinegar stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine ¾ cup flour, granulated sugar and salt; cut in room-temperature shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour the “liquid” over the flour mixture. Stir with a fork until all of the mixture is moistened.
- Shape dough into a ball and place on heavy duty plastic wrap; cover with an additional piece of plastic wrap. Roll into a circle and chill dough in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Dust rolling pin and work surface lightly with flour.
- Remove dough from freezer and let stand for 1 minute or until pliable.
- Roll dough to a uniform thickness and cut out 12/24 tart-shaped pieces.
- Place dough into bottom and up sides of each “muffin” cup to form tart shells.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Gradually beat in the milk and egg until blended.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and currants.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture into pastry-lined tart tins.
- Bake for 8 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until pastry is delicately browned.
- Let cool before removing from tart tins.