Brown rice and veggie collard wraps
Long grain cooked brown rice
8½ oz, microwavable basmati variety
Dark sesame oil
1 tsp(s), grated peeled fresh
California (Hass) avocado
1 item(s), halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 16 slices
Uncooked collard greens
1 bunch(es), 8 leaves (9 x 9 inches)
1 cup(s), matchstick-cut
½ cup(s), matchstick-cut
Sweet red pepper(s)
½ cup(s), thin strips
½ cup(s), chopped fresh
1 medium, thinly sliced
- Heat rice in microwave according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make dipping sauce, stir together all ingredients in small serving bowl.
- To make wraps, cut off collard stems. Place leaves, veiny side up, on work surface. With small knife, shave off thick part of each rib so it is flat. (This will make collards easier to roll up.) Stack leaves and wrap in damp paper towels. Put on microwavable plate and microwave on High until leaves turn bright green and are flexible, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Mix together cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, cilantro, and scallion in medium bowl.
- Lay collard leaves on work surface, veiny side up. Put scant 1/4 cup of rice on bottom half of each leaf. Top each leaf with 2 avocado slices and 1/3 cup of cucumber-carrot mixture. Fold in two opposite sides of each collard leaf, then roll up to enclose filling.
- Cut each wrap in half on diagonal. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Serving size: 2 wraps and 1 1/2 tablespoons dipping sauce