Banana Muffins with Tart Lemon Icing
6 tbsp(s), softened, divided
2 tsp(s), divided
White all-purpose flour
4 large, ripe, mashed
Powdered sugar (icing sugar)
4 tsp(s), strips, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 18 muffin holes with paper liners.
- Place sugar and 5 tablespoons of butter in a large bowl; cream with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla; beat until thoroughly mixed.
- In another large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture; beat well with mixer. Add milk and remaining flour mixture; beat until batter is combined and then fold in mashed bananas.
- Bake until muffins start to brown and a tester inserted in centre of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack and cool completely before icing.
- Meanwhile, to make icing, combine powdered sugar, remaining tablespoon of butter, lemon zest, and remaining teaspoon of vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with an electric mixer until creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Ice cooled muffins; cover and refrigerate any uneaten muffins. Yields 1 muffin per serving.