Baked Penne with Turkey, Mushroom and Roasted Pepper Ragu
Uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
2 medium, chopped
8 oz, thinly sliced
Crushed red pepper flakes
Roasted red peppers (packed in water)
12 oz, drained, chopped
Canned diced tomatoes
Canned tomato sauce
½ cup(s), fresh, minced (plus extra for garnish)
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
12 oz, cooked according to package instructions
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 cup(s), divided
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), divided
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a large 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a very large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onions and mushroom; cook, stirring often, until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, garlic, red pepper flakes, roasted peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and basil; stir to mix and coat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes so flavors blend; stir in cooked penne, 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Spoon penne mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake until cheese is bubbly and melted, and dish is heated through, about 25 to 30 minutes; garnish with fresh basil if desired. Yields about 1 cup per serving.