Baked bell peppers with chickpea mash, eggs, and harissa
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
6 item(s), medium, assorted colours
1 cup(s), diced
¾ tsp(s), (3 ml) or to taste (divided)
½ pinch, (2 ml) or to taste (divided)
3 cup(s), chopped
6 tsp(s), or cilantro, minced
6 tsp(s), mild or hot
Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (or coat pan with cooking spray).
- Slice a lengthwise piece off each pepper so stem and bottom remain intact; reserve cut pieces of pepper. Carefully scoop out membrane and seeds from peppers (use a melon baller if you have one) and set on prepared pan, cut-side up. Loosely cover peppers with aluminum foil; bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice reserved pepper pieces. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; warm over medium-low heat. Add diced pepper, onion, 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt and 1 ml (1/4 tsp) black pepper to skillet; saute until tender, 5-10 minutes. Add turmeric, garlic powder, cumin and cinnamon; toss to combine and heat for 30 seconds. Add spinach and chickpeas; toss to combine and remove from heat.
- Remove peppers from oven. Reduce heat to 190°C (375°F). Divide chickpea mixture evenly among peppers; crack an egg onto each pepper, and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake, uncovered, until egg whites set completely, about 20 minutes. Serve sprinkled with chives (or cilantro); spoon harissa over top.
- Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper