In season - Beetroot recipes
Use this vibrant root veg to add flavour and crimson colour to not just savoury but sweet dishes too. They are available all year round.
Shopping and cooking with beetroot tips
Beetroot is a highly nutritious vegie full of fibre, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Here are our top tips for using beet:
- For sweetness, colour and crunch, use grated raw beetroot in salads.
- Don’t forget the leaves! Use them in place of spinach. They’re delicious sautéed with a touch of oil and garlic.
- Serve beetroots with your Sunday roast. Decrease the amount of potatoes and substitute beets instead for a sweeter flavour.
- Use beets in baking: there’s no need for red food colouring to make red velvet chocolate cakes, grated beets does the trick. Also use beetroot juice to colour cupcakes and icing.
- Forget butter on sandwiches: try one of our tasty beet dips instead. Check out our recipe for roasted beetroot dip.
- Roasting beetroot brings out its sweet flavour and intense colour.
- To stop the beetroot from staining your fingers and nails red, wear plastic gloves when cutting and grating the beets.
In season during: Summer, autumn, winter and spring.