Steak, mushroom and kidney pie
1 medium, coarsely chopped
Swiss brown mushrooms
2 clove(s), crushed
¼ cup(s), (70g)
1 cup(s), (250ml)
2 tsp, leaves
Trimmed beef chuck steak
480 g, (buy 600g) fat trimmed, cut into 2.5cm pieces
130 g, (buy 2x 75g) small, trimmed thinly sliced
Reduced-fat puff pastry
1 sheet(s), just thawed
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms, garlic and 2 tablespoons water. Increase heat to high and cook for 2 minutes or until mushrooms have softened. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, stock and thyme and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook beef, in batches, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Cook kidneys, turning, for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add beef, kidneys and 1 cup (250ml) water to mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 1L (4-cup) capacity ovenproof pie dish with oil.
- Spoon beef mixture into prepared dish. Top with pastry, pressing edges with a fork to seal. Trim excess. Bake for 15–18 minutes or until pastry is golden. Serve.