Vietnamese-style caramel fish
900 g, Buy 1.8kg
1 cup(s), (1 bunch)
1 tbs, or canola oil
3 whole, finely chopped
Fresh red chilli
2 whole, deseeded and finely chopped
3 clove(s), crushed
2 tsp, finely grated
½ cup(s), (135g)
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Using a sharp knife, cut 3 slashes, about 5cm long and 1cm deep, in thickest part of the fish on both sides. Slice 1 lime and place into fish cavity. Place fish on prepared tray.
- Wash and finely chop roots and 3cm of coriander stalks. Set aside. Remove leaves from coriander stems. Place leaves in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Place in fridge until required. Discard leftover stems. Juice 1 lime. Cut remaining lime into wedges.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook chopped coriander roots with eschalots for 3 minutes or until softened. Add chilli, garlic, ginger and lime juice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add sugar, 1/3 cup (80ml) water and fish sauce and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until mixture turns a rich golden caramel.
- Pour caramel mixture over fish. Bake for 30 minutes or until fish is cooked through. Transfer to a serving platter. Spoon over any cooking liquid and sprinkle with drained coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.