Slow cooked Greek meatballs with green beans
2 medium, quartered
Ground all spice
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ cup(s), plus extra to serve
Lean beef mince
3 medium, finely chopped
- Process 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, allspice and nutmeg in a food processor until a thick paste forms. Add half the parsley and process until finely chopped.
- Combine beef, rice and onion paste in a bowl. Roll mixture into 20 meatballs. Place on a plate. Cover and place in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining onion and garlic. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook sliced onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, beans and 2 cups (500ml) water and bring to the boil. Add meatballs, pushing beans aside to make sure meatballs are covered in sauce mixture, and return to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add paprika and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 3–5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve.