Cornbread and cranberry stuffing
⅔ cup(s), (110g)
Wholemeal self-raising flour
⅔ cup(s), (100g)
Bicarbonate of soda
Canned creamed corn
⅓ cup(s), (45g) coarsley chopped
Reduced fat oil spread
1 small, finely chopped
2 piece(s), fat trimmed, finely chopped
Green apple, unpeeled
1 medium, cored, finely chopped
1 medium, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C. For the cornbread, lightly spray a 9cm x 20cm loaf tin with oil. Line base and 2 long sides with baking paper. Combine polenta, flour and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl. Whisk milk, egg, olive oil and creamed corn in a jug until combined. Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Spoon mixture into a prepared tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside in tin to cool.
- Meanwhile, place cranberries in a small bowl. Add brandy and stir to combine. Set aside for 30 minutes to soak.
- Cut cornbread loaf in half. Finely chop one half for the stuffing (see tip).
- Melt spread in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and bacon, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened and bacon is crisp. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in apple and cranberry mixture. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in egg and chopped cornbread until combined. Season. Refrigerate until required.