⅓ cup(s), boiling
2½ tbsp(s), to 3 tbsp, cool
Toasted sesame oil
6 medium, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
Low sodium soy sauce
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour and salt with a fork. Drizzle the flour mixture with boiling water, tossing with a fork. Drizzle in the cool water, tossing with a fork until a dough starts to come together. Knead the dough on a work surface (you shouldn’t need additional flour on the work surface) until almost smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover the dough with a towel and let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the dough and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, place the dough on a large wooden cutting board coated with cooking spray (or a smooth work surface with a very light coating of cooking spray). Roll into a large, thin rectangle (about 12 x 6–inches).
- Drizzle ½ tsp oil over the dough and spread it over the entire surface with your fingers. Sprinkle one-fourth of the scallions evenly over the dough. Fold the dough lengthwise into thirds, like a letter. Fold the letter-folded dough in half lengthwise. Roll up the dough into a tight spiral. Set the dough aside and repeat the process with the remaining dough, oil, and scallions.
- Working with 1 dough spiral at a time, roll the dough into a 6-inch circle. Don’t worry if some scallions break through the dough and fall out; that’s normal. Repeat the process with the remaining dough spirals. Coat both sides of the pancakes with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 pancakes to pan (if they’ll fit), pressing lightly with a spatula to make contact with the pan. Cook until browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the pancakes over, and cook until browned on the other side, pressing occasionally with a spatula, about 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat the process with the remaining pancakes. In a small bowl, stir the soy sauce and vinegar; serve the sauce with the pancakes.
- Serving size: 1 pancake and about ¾ tsp sauce