This smoky, spicy vegetarian chili gets a serious kick from powdered and packaged peppers.
- 1 large uncooked red onion(s), chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), seeded, chopped
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 medium yellow pepper(s), seeded, chopped
- 3 cup(s) cooked frozen yellow corn
- 1 large uncooked zucchini, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 45 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup(s) canned black eye peas, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz canned low sodium red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp chili powder, ancho variety
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp canned chipotle pepper(s), minced
- 1 tsp paprika, smoked variety
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 medium uncooked scallion(s), chopped
Preheat oven to 450°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, toss together onion, peppers, corn, zucchini, oil, salt and black pepper; spread evenly across prepared pans. Roast, stirring once halfway through cooking, until browned, about 30 minutes.
Spoon roasted vegetables and remaining ingredients, except cilantro and scallions, into a large soup pot; stir well. Set pot over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for flavors to blend, about 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and scallions just before serving.
- Serving size: 1 cup