Ramp Risotto with Lemon & Hazelnuts
6 oz, trimmed (or trimmed scallion greens)
Fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
1 medium, trimmed, halved, sliced (white & light green parts only)
1 clove(s), large, chopped
1 tsp(s), chopped, plus 2 sprigs
½ tsp(s), (plus extra to taste)
¼ tsp(s), freshly ground (plus extra to taste)
Uncooked arborio rice
⅓ cup(s), dry variety
Low fat cream cheese
1 tsp(s), grated
Grated parmigiano reggiano
¼ cup(s), finely grated
¼ cup(s), toasted, chopped (1 1/2 oz)
2 tbsp(s), chopped
- Set out a medium bowl of ice water.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a medium Dutch oven. Add ramps (or scallions) and cook until just wilted and bright green, 1 minute; transfer with slotted spoon to ice water to stop cooking, 2-3 minutes. Drain; squeeze out any extra moisture.
- In a blender, puree ramps (or scallions) and 1 tsp oil until smooth; set aside.
- Heat broth in a medium saucepan over very low heat; keep warm while you prepare risotto.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat; add leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Add garlic, chopped thyme and thyme sprigs, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute more. Add rice; cook, stirring, until it toasts slightly, 2 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring until it is fully absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 c warm broth to Dutch oven; cook, stirring constantly, until rice almost fully absorbs broth. Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time, until all has been added, and rice is tender but still slightly al dente, 20 minutes.
- Stir in ramp (or scallion) puree, cream cheese and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove thyme sprigs, then serve sprinkled with Parmesan, nuts and chives.
- Serving size: 1 c