Peruvian roast chicken with avocado salad
white wine vinegar
5 clove(s), medium, minced
raw skinless boneless light and dark meat
1¾ pound(s), 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, skin and wings removed and discarded and giblets removed
1 head(s), thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
uncooked red onion(s)
½ small, thinly sliced
California (Hass) avocado
½ small, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
½ item(s), juice
½ item(s), cut into 4 wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray roasting rack with nonstick spray and place in roasting pan.
- Stir together vinegar, paprika, cumin, garlic, oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and cayenne in small bowl. Rub spice mixture all over meat and in cavity of chicken. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken, breast side up, on prepared rack in pan. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh (not touching bone) registers 165°F, about 1 hour. Transfer chicken to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine romaine and onion on serving platter or in salad bowl. Top with avocado; sprinkle with lime juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Carve chicken into 6 pieces and arrange on platter; serve with salad and lime wedges.
- Serving size:1 piece chicken and 1 cup salad