Orange beef stir-fry
Fat free chicken broth
Low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp(s), calorie free sweetener such as Splenda or Sweet'N Low
½ tsp(s), (optional)
2 tbsp(s), freshly grated, or 1/4 cup fresh orange peel, julienned
¼ cup(s), fresh, peeled, julienned
2 clove(s), medium, slivered
Red pepper flakes
¼ tsp(s), crushed
Uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef
1 pound(s), boneless, trimmed, sliced against grain into 1/8-inch-thick strips
Uncooked sugar snap peas
1 tbsp(s), dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- Whisk broth, soy sauce, Splenda, and orange extract (if using) in a small bowl; set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick wok with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add orange peel, ginger and garlic; stir-fry until softened and aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and stir-fry 20 seconds. (NOTE: To julienne means to cut into thin matchsticks. Peel an orange, press the rind sections as flat as you can on a cutting board, and slice them into long matchsticks. For the ginger, cut the peeled stalk into thin, even slices, then cut each of these into matchsticks.)
- Add beef; stir-fry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and continue stir-frying until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth mixture and bring to a simmer. Cover wok and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in arrowroot mixture; cook just until thickened, less than 10 seconds. The moment sauce thickens, remove pan from heat and serve at once. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.