- 1 tsp yeast, dry
- 1 tsp sugar, (5 ml)
- 1/2 cup(s) water, lukewarm, (120 ml)
- 3/4 cup(s) low-fat milk, (1%),(175 ml)
- 1/4 cup(s) molasses, (60 ml)
- 1 Tbsp light butter, melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp table salt, (2 ml)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3 cup(s) all-purpose flour, plus extra for flouring work surface, (720 ml)
- 1 cup(s) raisins, (240 ml)
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
In a bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in lukewarm water. Let stand 10 minutes, until yeast is bubbly. Stir in milk, molasses, butter, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir in 3 cups (750 mL) of the flour and mix and stir until blended. Knead in raisins.
Transfer dough to a flat surface and knead for 10 minutes, until dough is smooth.
Coat a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl and turn to coat. Place bowl in a warm place, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise 2 hours. Punch dough down with your fist.
Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Press dough into prepared pan, cover with kitchen towel and let rise again until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375°o (190° C). Bake loaf 40 minutes, until browned and hollow-sounding when tapped. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.