Mixed berry pancakes
3 cup(s), fresh or frozen and thawed (chopped if large)
Fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp(s), or more to taste
2 tbsp(s), granulated
1 large, separated
2 tsp(s), divided
Powdered sugar (icing sugar)
1 tbsp(s), for dusting
- In a medium bowl, gently toss berries with lemon juice; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, sift together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine buttermilk with egg yolk.
- Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture; stir in berries and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter until combined.
- Heat a very large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add 1/2 teaspoon butter. When butter is melted, make six pancakes at a time by pouring 2 heaping tablespoons of batter into skillet for each pancake (make sure to leave enough space in between each). Cook until bottoms are golden, about 2 minutes; flip and cook until centers are set, about 2 minutes more.
- Remove pancakes to a plate and cover to keep warm (or place in a warm oven); repeat with remaining ingredients, making six pancakes at a time. When ready to serve, dust pancakes with powdered sugar.
- Serving size: 3 pancakes