Hot cross buns
Fat free skim milk
½ cup(s), warm
¼ cup(s), warm
1 large, lightly beaten
¼ cup(s), reduced calorie, melted
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the yeast, sugar, milk and warm water. Leave to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes until frothy. Whisk in the egg. Sift flour and the ground all spice into a large mixing bowl and rub in the light butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the raisins and currants through the flour mixture. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir together the wet and dry ingredients to form a sticky dough.
- Tip the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes until elastic. Transfer to a bowl and cover with a clean, dry tea towel. Set aside to rise in a warm draught-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C). Lightly mist an 18 x 28cm cake tin with cooking spray. Use your fist to knock back the dough and remove the excess air.
- Divide the dough into 12 and roll into balls. Arrange in the prepared tin. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Make a flour paste by combining the remaining flour and sugar with about 2 tbsp water in a small bowl. Transfer to a small food bag, snip off a corner and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (176°C) and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden and the buns sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from the oven and set aside in the tin to cool slightly. Brush with the melted jam. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving size: 1 hot cross bun