Grilled Italian bread and tomato salad
1½ tbsp(s), extra-virgin
Red wine vinegar
¼ pinch, freshly ground
¼ tsp(s), crumbled
1½ pound(s), cut in wedges, wedges halved (4 1/2 cups)
Uncooked red onion(s)
⅓ cup(s), chopped
3½ oz, or ciabatta bread, cut into four 3/4-inch-thick slices
1 clove(s), medium, cut in half
½ cup(s), fresh, cut into strips or roughly torn*
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano. Add tomatoes and onion; toss and let stand at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Heat outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan. Coat bread with cooking spray.
- Grill bread until toasted, about 2 minutes per side; remove from grill and rub with cut side of garlic. Cut bread (or simply break it) into bite-size chunks.
- Just before serving, add bread to bowl with tomatoes; sprinkle with basil and toss to mix and coat.
- Yields about 1 cup per serving.