Glazed Lentil Loaf by Chef Tyler
1½ cup(s), diced, cremini variety
Sweet red pepper(s)
½ cup(s), diced
1 small, diced, yellow variety (90g)
2 medium, diced
2 stalk(s), medium, diced
2 clove(s), small
Canned unsalted tomato paste
Ground flaxseed meal
Herbes de Provence
Crushed red pepper flakes
Uncooked quick oats
Dried plain breadcrumbs
⅓ cup(s), (add one tbsp if needed)
Unpacked brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a medium sized baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In large saute pan, cook the mushrooms, red pepper, onions, carrots, and celery over medium heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for another minute or two. Remove pan from stove to set aside and let vegetables cool.
- In a food processor, combine the lentils, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, miso paste, ground flax, herbes de Provence, red pepper flakes, oats, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Pulse a few times to combine the mix into a chunky dough. Do not puree - you want to have some texture from the vegetables and lentils.
- Transfer mixture to lined baking sheet. Using your hands, form dough into a loaf shape at least 1 inch high. Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While loaf is baking, combine the ketchup and balsamic vinegar in a bowl to make the glaze. Remove the loaf from the oven and brush glaze evenly over the top of the loaf to coat. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the glaze. Place back into the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove loaf from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes. Slice into 6 even portions.