Fluffy Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes
- Total Time
Here's a ricotta cheese-and-citrus twist on a favourite American breakfast. They're great plain but also super topped with mixed berries and a drizzle of lemon juice.
all-purpose flour1 ½ cup(s)
baking soda1 tsp
table salt½ tsp
low-fat buttermilk1 cup(s)
egg(s)2 large, yolks and whites separated
sugar2 Tbsp, granulated
lemon zest2 Tbsp, or increase to taste
part-skim ricotta cheese½ cup(s)
cooking spray3 spray(s)
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together buttermilk, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and ricotta cheese by hand.
- In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture until just combined; gently fold in egg whites until they are just incorporated.
- Coat a large nonstick griddle or pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Spoon batter into pan in batches using 60ml (1/4-cup) batter for each pancake; cook until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove pancakes to a tray in a warm oven and repeat with remaining ingredients (being careful not to spray cooking spray into open flame). Serving size: 2 pancakes