Double German Chocolate Mini Cupcakes
3 tbsp(s), hot
Unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp(s), at room temperature
Canned low sodium sauerkraut
½ cup(s), rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
Sweetened coconut flakes
Fat free evaporated milk
Packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 24-cup mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine coffee and cocoa powder until dissolved; whisk in buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat to combine.
- Alternately add flour mixture and cocoa mixture to butter mixture just until combined; fold in sauerkraut.
- Evenly spoon batter into prepared muffin pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, reduce oven temperature to 300°F. Spread pecans and coconut on a baking sheet; toast in oven until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Cool to room temperature; reserve.
- To make frosting, in a small saucepan, whisk together evaporated milk, cornstarch, brown sugar and salt over medium-high heat until bubbling, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until thick, about 1 minute; stir in vanilla extract and 1/4 cup coconut mixture. Cool to room temperature and then spread evenly over cupcakes. Sprinkle frosted cupcakes with remaining coconut mixture before serving.