Crunchy Onion Rings with Kefir Ranch Dip
1 clove(s), medium, finely chopped
3 tbsp(s), fresh, chopped
2 tbsp(s), fresh, chopped
1 cup(s), or low-fat buttermilk
¾ tsp(s), divided
⅛ tsp(s), divided
½ cup(s), divided
1 large egg(s)
3 medium, (about 1 lb), cut into 1⁄2-inch slices and separated into rings (reserve the smaller rings for another use)
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, garlic, chives, parsley, vinegar, 1⁄2 cup of the kefir, 1⁄4 tsp of the salt, and the black pepper.
- Spread 1⁄4 cup of the flour on a sheet of wax paper. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, 1⁄4 tsp of the salt, the cayenne, granulated garlic, the remaining 1⁄2 cup kefir, and 1⁄4 cup of the flour until smooth. Spread the panko on another sheet of wax paper.
- Working with 5 rings at a time, coat the onion rings with the flour. Dip the coated rings into the batter, letting the excess batter drip off, then coat with the panko, pressing to adhere the crumbs. Arrange the rings in a single layer on a baking sheet. Repeat to coat the remaining onion rings.
- Preheat an air fryer to 360°F for 3 minutes. Lightly coat the air-fryer basket with cooking spray. Arrange a single layer of onion rings in the basket. Coat the rings with cooking spray and cook in the air fryer for 5 minutes. Turn the rings over and coat with cooking spray. Continue to cook the onion rings until crispy, about 4 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining onion rings. Serve the onion rings with the dip.
- Serving size: about 6 onion rings and 2 tablespoons dip.