- Total Time
Makes a great breakfast when you’ve got weekend house guests. Substitute untoasted walnut oil for the canola oil if you prefer a nuttier flavour.
all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
whole wheat flour⅔ cup(s)
baking soda½ tsp
ground cinnamon½ tsp
table salt½ tsp
canola oil3 Tbsp
regular liquid egg substitute½ cup(s)
banana(s)3 medium, ripe, peeled and mashed (about 310 ml [1¼ cup])
fresh cranberries½ cup(s), chopped
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Coat a 22.5 X 12.5-cm (9 X 5 in) loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil with an electric mixer at medium speed until sugar begins to dissolve, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg substitute; beat in mashed bananas. Scrape down sides of bowl and remove beaters; stir in flour mixture and cranberries with a rubber spatula, making sure you scrape down sides of bowl to moisten everything.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan; smooth top. Bake until browned (a toothpick inserted into centre of bread should come out with a few moist crumbs), about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes; then turn loaf out of pan to continue cooling on rack. Slice loaf into twelve 2-cm-thick (¾-in) pieces.
- Once completely cooled, the loaf can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap. Yields 1 slice per serving.