Chocolate and vanilla meringue cookies
SmartPoints® value per serving
3 hr 8 min
Meringues are egg white-sugar cookies that are baked for a long time at a low temperature. Make yours swirled by combining the two batters.
4 egg white(s), large
Distilled white vinegar
½ tsp(s), or cider vinegar
Unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp(s), powder
- Preheat oven to 200ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add vinegar; beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and gradually add sugar; beat until glossy stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- Remove half of meringue to another bowl; stir in cocoa until blended.
- Spoon tablespoons of both meringues onto prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart each, making about 44 cookies – half vanilla-flavoured and half cocoa-flavoured. Or you can make marbleized cookies by spooning 1/2 tablespoon of each type of meringue into a mound and then swirling the 2 together with your fingers.
- Bake until meringues feel dry and crisp all the way through, about 3 hours. Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks to cool completely. Peel meringues off foil and store in an airtight container. Yields about 2 cookies per serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.