Today could be the best day of your life. Really. You don't have to win the lottery or anything. Get re-acquainted with your inner kid and tap into curiosity, enthusiasm, and delight. Open yourself up to new experiences, big and small. They’ll add zest to your life, can inspire you to explore and learn, and can even expand your happiness. Happy people make healthier choices, which can boost your well-being, including cardiovascular health!
“Attitude is everything,” says Tina Tessina, a psychotherapist and self-help author. “The biggest problem with sticking to a routine is that you risk getting caught in a rut—boredom can take over your entire life.”
Here are some other ways to awaken your enthusiastic alter-ego.
- Wear bright red today.
- Eat breakfast in your backyard (weather permitting, of course!).
- Try cooking a new cuisine, such as Vietnamese, Spanish, or Cajun.
- Call your partner just to say, "I love you."
- Splurge on flowers for the office or dining room.
- Go window shopping with a friend.
- House swap with friends for a change of scenery.
- Wear a bold new lipstick colour.
- Dance in the moonlight.
- Push two armchairs together and give your partner a foot massage while he or she reciprocates.
- Choose three simple activities you liked as a child (such as watching the clouds, riding a roller coaster, or making mud pies). Indulge in them all in one weekend.
- Buy rain boots and jump in puddles after it rains.
- Leave funny notes for your partner in his/her underwear drawer or briefcase.
- Organize a weekly board game tournament at work: Ticket to Ride, Sequence, Battleship—or even Candy Land—are great choices.
- Lie on your back on the grass and look up at the clouds—any animals they remind you of?
- Invite friends over for takeout and a night of charades.
- Go camping.
Take on new challenges
- Step outside your comfort zone for something you’ve been intrigued by: sailing lessons or drama classes, anyone?
- Volunteer at a pet shelter, hospital, school...
- Learn a skill you find appealing but a little daunting, such as upholstering or making jewelry.
- Make peace with your parents.
- Start your own walking club.
- Write that novel or screenplay (or start with a poem or blog).
- Go to a travel agent and organize the trip to Paris you've always wanted to take.
- Look for a job you don't dread going to every morning.
Little bites of deliciousness
Looking for some bite-sized appetizers to try this summer? Try fantastic recipes like Grilled Baby Eggplant with Yogurt Sauce, Roasted Baby Potatoes with Oregano and Lemon or Grilled Baby Peppers in Oregano Vinaigrette.