|Prep time: 1:05||Cook time: 0:10||Serves: 6|
Beef and Pineapple Skewers
Adding pineapple chunks and juice to the marinade of these skewers brings a sweet and savoury component to these easy kebabs. The natural active enzyme in pineapple juice, protease, helps to tenderize the beef during the one-hour marinade time; but don’t marinate for longer, as these enzymes are great at their job, so you want the meat tenderized, but not completely broken down. The sugars in the fruit and juice also caramelize on the grill, adding a more complex depth of flavour. Try serving with a fresh summery side like Spiralized Beet Slaw with Lime and Pepitas or No-Cook Brussels Sprouts Salad.
- 16 oz uncooked lean and trimmed beef tenderloin, cut into 18 cubes
- 1⁄2 cup(s)pineapple juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 medium pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 medium uncooked red onion(s), chopped
- 2 medium green pepper(s), chopped
- 1 medium uncooked zucchini, chopped
- Combine the beef, pineapple juice, honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and ginger in a Ziploc bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour has elapsed, remove the beef from the marinade and thread onto skewers, alternating beef, pineapple, and vegetables.
- Heat grill and grill kebabs until desired doneness.
Serving size: 1 skewer