In season - Rhubarb cooking tips & recipes
Rhubarb is actually a vegetable which means it counts towards one of your five a day. It's in season all year round.
Published 28 May 2018
Rhubarb shopping and cooking tips
Our expert nutrition tips for buying and storing, plus get our favourite rhubarb recipes below.
- When buying rhubarb choose rhubarb with long, brightly coloured firm red stalks.
- Rhubarb is a source of fibre and vitamin C.
- Kept in the food crisper section of your fridge for 3 to 5 days.
- Remove and discard the leaves (as they are poisonous). Wash the stalks, trim any white roots and chop the red stalk into desired length before cooking.
- Rhubarb isn't usually eaten raw – it’s best when stewed, poached or baked.
- Rhubarb pairs well with flavours like; vanilla, ginger and orange.
In season during: Summer, autumn, winter and spring.