In season - 21 eggplant recipes
Eggplants are in season in early autumn. We've put together our top tips for preparing and enjoying this delicious vegetable.
Top tips for buying and preparing eggplant
- When choosing eggplant, look for those that are firm, feel heavy for their size and have glossy skin.
- Store eggplant in the crisper section of your fridge. They’re best used within 3-4 days of purchase.
- To grill eggplant without using excess oil, spray eggplant slices lightly with oil then grill, chargrill or barbecue until golden and tender. Alternatively spray with oil and roast in a 200°C oven until golden and tender.
- For a delicious smoky eggplant dip, grill a large eggplant (held with a long barbecue fork or tongs) directly over an open flame, such as a gas stove, until charred and tender. Allow to cool, then scrape the flesh into a processor and process with lemon juice, tahini, garlic and ground cumin until thick and creamy.
- Eggplant works beautifully with Middle Eastern flavours such as cumin, paprika, coriander, lemon and garlic.
- Eggplant flesh oxidises quickly (and turns brown), so it’s best to cut just before using to prevent discolouration.
In season during: Summer and autumn.