Eggplant and parmesan fries
SmartPoints® value per serving
1 large, peeled
70 g, stale, made into breadcrumbs (1 cup)
1 tsp, Italian variety
grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), (20g)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut off a thin sliver of rounded sides of eggplant so it can sit flat (reserve for another use). Cut eggplant lengthways into 1cm-thick slices. Cut each slice into 1cm-thick sticks and then slice each stick in half again (you should have 48 fries).
- Whisk egg whites, tomato paste and 2 tablespoons water in a shallow bowl until smooth. Combine breadcrumbs, herbs and parmesan in another shallow bowl.
- Dip each eggplant fry into egg mixture and turn to coat. Gently shake off excess. Next, place in breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat. Place on prepared tray and repeat with remaining ingredients (make sure fries do not touch or overlap).
- Lightly spray fries with oil and bake for 25 minutes or until brown and crunchy. Transfer tray to a wire rack and cool for a few minutes.
TIP: Eggplant will never get crunchy on its own in the oven, so we gave it a light coating of breadcrumbs and because eggplant contains so much moisture, these fries won't stay crispy for long.