Zucchini cake with lemon and poppy seed frosting
200 g, coarsely grated
Reduced fat oil spread
White self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (150g)
Bicarbonate of soda
Icing sugar mixture
Extra light cream cheese
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C. Lightly spray a 20cm (base measurement) round spring form tin with oil and line base with baking paper.
- Squeeze excess moisture from zucchini. Set aside.
- Using electric beaters, beat sugar and spread in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, until just combined.Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda together into a separate bowl. Fold in flour mixture then gently stir in grated zucchini. Spoon into prepared tin and smooth over surface with back of a spoon.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set cake aside in tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Using clean electric beaters, beat icing sugar, cream cheese, juice and poppy seeds in a small bowl until smooth. Spread over cake and sprinkle with lemon zest to serve.