Spanakopita (Greek cheese and spinach pie)
2 bunch(es), trimmed, coarsely chopped
4 individual, thinly sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
Reduced fat feta cheese
75 g, crumbled
97% fat-free cottage cheese
½ cup(s), (125g)
4 medium, lightly beaten
1 tbs, chopped
10 x 3 second spray(s)
250 g, halved
150 g, trimmed, halved
½ small, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Lightly spray a 23 cm pie dish with oil. Heat half the oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook spinach for 3–4 minutes, turning, until wilted. Transfer to a colander placed over the sink. Cool, then press to squeeze out excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, until softened. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in spinach, feta, cottage cheese, eggs and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay a sheet of filo on the bench and lightly spray with oil. Repeat with remaining filo, placing each sheet on top of the last, at a 45 degree angle. Ease into pie dish, allowing filo to overhang the side of dish. Pour spinach mixture into pastry shell. Fold overhanging filo over filling, overlapping to cover completely. Lightly spray with oil. Bake for 40 minutes or until filling is set and top is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to make salad, spread tomatoes over a baking paper-lined baking tray. Lightly spray with oil and bake with pie for 15 minutes. Cover beans with boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Drain and refresh under cold water. Toss tomatoes with beans and onion.
- Cut spanakopita into wedges and serve with salad.